In order to do well in your accounting exam it is very crucial that you take care of your mental health. It is not always to maintain a healthy balance, but there are things you can do to study while keeping low stress levels.
This article is going to give you 5 simple and effective ways in which you can get a good balance between studies and life. Doing all this will keep your stress as low as possible so that you can clear your upcoming exams.
1.Manage the stress of exams - Exam time can be very stressful. If you do not manage your study properly then it is very easy to panic. There are many things you can do to manage with this stress.
a. Be positive - What a positive attitude can achieve is amazing, especially during the exam time. In order to carry this out effectively, make sure that you study effectively. That doesn't mean just pouring over your notes all day, but it is very crucial that you practice question papers well. When you are attempting a previous year's paper and find a specific question hard, do not just skip it. Make sure you try it out, reach out to your tutors or to your friends.
b. Relax - Have you ever felt queasy right before the exam? This is very common amongst students. But there are ways in which you can take care of this. Try breathing techniques. Breathe in slowly and deeply and say to yourself “Relax”. Many times you will see anxiety pass quickly and you will be able to concentrate on questions.
c. Be well prepared - The one sure shot way in which you can get confidence at the exam is if you prepare well. Revise the whole syllabus and do not leave anything to chance. This will definitely build your confidence
d. Stay healthy - The right food is the key to staying healthy during the exams. Drink water beforehand. And keep a small bottle of water at your desk to keep yourself hydrated. Also make sure you eat something at least an hour before your exam, but keep it light else you may tend to get drowsy.
e. Stay Busy- Try to keep your mind calm. Do not worry as this is only going to make your anxiety worse. A good way to deal with this is by keeping your mind occupied.
Doing some light exercise or taking a walk can release a lot of tension. Or you can listen to some soothing music that will help keep your mind calm.
2. Be organised - Being organised is the primary thing that will enable you to find success in your exams. Plan your study time well and revise properly so that you get the results you have worked so hard for. It is crucial to have a good plan and to be organised. Good study habits will not only help you to do well but will help your overall mental and physical well being. Know that your exams are time bound, so when you are taking practice tests, form a plan and cut things into chunks. Once you have a proper plan in place that in itself will take off a lot of pressure. Set time aside for relaxation. It is not practical to work all the time. If you rest enough then you can work more effectively. Also don't be too rigid with your plan. In case things don't work out, you can always work things out tomm.
3. Sleep has to be a priority - A study conducted in the UK found that most people miss out on 210 hours of sleep a year. Very few people are aware of something called sleep hygiene. We can set up habits and routines that will help you to establish a healthy sleep pattern.
So how can you then promote sleep? Here are some effective way in which you can increase your intake:
- Magnesium: This is a mineral that is very essential to make our body function optimally, we need about 300 mg per day.
- Tryptophan: This nutrient is available in foods like turkey, red meat, nuts, seeds, lentil, oats etc.
- Melatonin - This is a good sleep hormone, it has many sleep inducing factors for good sleep. You may need external ingredients like tryptophan that makes melatonin - if your body goes low on this then you are not giving your body enough ingredients for sleep.
- Temperature - The core body temperature has to be low for a good sleep. The best temp is 13.5-20 C.
Try and avoid watching tv or screens an hour before you go to sleep.
4. Leave work on your laptop - Long, stressful hours will definitely take a toll on your mental and physical health. So here are some quick tips to tackle those feelings.
- Get physical - Staying awake well is not an effective study pattern for most people. It will end up making you feel so tired and you end up getting very little information absorbed. Ensure that you don't ignore signs of flagging when you need to work, study or attend classes. Take small breaks, even that involves just 10 minutes of break between each section.
- Make lists - Tick things off that are completed. It is just one way to improve your work life balance. Set daily goals and priorities for bigger tasks early in the day so that they are not left overnight.
- Turn off your phone in the evening - Make it a point to turn the phone off as you hit to bed. This will help you to get good sleep and help you to be well rested for the new day.
- Develop a peer network - Establishing a good support network is crucial inorder to offload work stress. Build a good support network of colleagues and mentors who would be able to help you to manage your stress.
- Keep a positive attitude - When you understand that your body is getting tired add recreation into your study schedule. Don’t feel guilty about doing so. When you play one level of computer game when you finish answering past exam questions or strumming the guitar are great distractions. Try and get into a hobby or a sport and try and get engaged with that each morning, keep some time for yourself.
5. Tackle stress - You can concentrate better if you find an ideal place and time. Find a time that works best for you. For some mornings work well, for others they find it as the least productive time.
Take breaks often. As per studies conducted by psychologists we have the capability to concentrate only for 30-45 minutes. When you take a break don’t stare at your screen, go for a walk or get a cup of coffee.
Make sure you have a healthy diet - drink and eat well during the revision time. Have something that isn't too heavy, or is time consuming. One of the best ways to maximise your productivity is by staying well hydrated.